Students are required to pass four years of English.
To be eligible to attend a 4-year college,
students must earn a C or higher
at the end of each semester.
Our College Preparatory Program
the regular and intensive courses at all levels are college preparatory
classes and count towards fulfilling the a-g requirement.
English 1 or English 1 Intensive
English 2 or English 2 Intensive
- English Learners taking English 1 may also be placed in an additional “Shadow” class which builds language acquisition and the skills necessary to be successful in English 1.
- Students may also take an elective called Read 180 designed to increase reading skills.
English 3 or English 3 Honors
English 4 or AP Literature & Composition
Intensive, Honors & AP Program
- Students who do not take an Intensive class in the 9th grade year may move into an intensive, honors or AP class in later years.
- A contract is required and students must commit to taking the class for an entire school year.
- Summer reading and writing is also required for all English Intensive, Honors and AP courses.
- Students who earn a C or higher in the Honors and AP classes receive a weighted grade.
- Students who pass the AP Exam earn college credit!